After you have your conversation, write a reaction to your conversation. For instance, what arguments were presented? Who presented them? Were their thoughts and arguments well defended and presented? What was your overall impression of the conversation? Any surprises?
In every controversial topic, there would always be two sides of the story and two sides of feelings. One of the biggest issues in America today is the war in Afghanistan and there are millions of people who believe that we should stay in and fight it out and also millions of people say that we should get out. In the seminar, my eyes were opened to all the ideas on why we should and should not stay in Afghanistan, but I wanted to see what other people thought on this issue. So I had two different discussions with two people who had very different ideas on the war. I had one conversation with my dad and another one with one of my friends. Both had very different ideas that were very surprising to me and some was disappointed.
The first conversation I had was with my friend and his thoughts on the war were very eye opening to me because he said that we should stay in the war. He said that we should stay in the war because it seems that we are losing but to him we are actually winning the war and actually making a lot of progress. To him, the death ratio in Afghanistan is not that high and that we would just be wasting our time getting out with all of the progress we made. I agree with him on all of this, but I still think that we should get out. Like my ideas, my dad thought the same way. But when I talked about what would happen if the Taliban would take over, he started to get to extreme to what I would have done. What I said is that the Taliban would take over when we get out and he said that it would be fine and that it would not be our problem. After he said that, he said that if they would try to threaten us then we would threaten with a nuke, and if they were to continue we would actually do it. When I heard that, I was very surprised to what he had just said. After he said that, he said he wouldn’t care what the world would have thought which also blew me away. We have the same idea to what we should do for the war, but my dad takes it too extreme.
- Jeremy Gonzalez
Jeremy – It is interesting to note that although your dad makes a compelling argument on why we should stay in Afghanistan, you automatically disagree. Doesn’t this just play into your introduction regarding that no matter what the arguments presented, people will still stay true to their own arguments? There are some people that believe we should simply bomb them into the Stone Age. But then again, how would that make us look? I’m glad you had this eye opening conversation. What about your other conversation? Content 5; Organization 5; Total 30/36.
ReplyDelete